Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cleaning House


Over the past month, the house has been getting on my nerves. So, I decided that it was time for another deep spring cleaning. My house is not very big (and neither are my closets). So, I have to constantly go through the things that I own and clear out the junk.

I am always amazed at how much I can get rid of when I purge. Where does all of this stuff come from? I know that some of it is stuff that I've been holding on to for a long time... like that coat that I made 10 years ago, or those pajama pants that I made 13 years ago (that have holes in them), or those jeans that my mom bought me when I was a junior in high school (11 years ago).

And there are still wedding presents that are slowly moving out. We've been married for 5 years, and I still feel guilty about getting rid of a gift that we don't use and did not register for.

All in all, I have 7 trash bags full of stuff for Goodwill, and an even larger number in trash. It feels good to get rid of things and to simplify life. Except for the things that make me sad. Like throwing out my broken sewing machine. I made my wedding dress on that machine. It angered me on many occasions, but there is a sentimental attachment. Oh, well. When I have a bigger house, I can afford to be more sentimental.

No comments: