Monday, April 7, 2008

This World


Today I was driving home from an errand and the car in front of me had a bumper sticker that read:

"We are not humans beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience"

Judging from the other bumper stickers on the car, my beliefs and theology do not match up with the driver's, but this made me stop and think. As Christians, we know that this fallen world is not our home. Our final destination is with God.

Sitting amid traffic and construction (daily life in Atlanta), this was such a peaceful thought. I am looking forward to heaven and being in the presence of God. Despite my excitement for it, heaven is such an abstract thought to me. A renewed Earth is something that I can relate to. The thought that one day God will create a New Earth without the falleness of sin really excites me.

From the driver's seat in my car, there were soooo many things I could see that needed renewing (I am sure that there will not be any traffic). But, then driving back into my neighborhood, I could see Forsythia bushes in bloom, and cherry trees beginning to blossom.

God is good. He has given us so much beauty in this world, I can't imagine how amazing it will be to live on an Earth without sin and where we'll no longer need a sun because "the Lord will be our everlasting light".

For an amazing description, read Isaiah 65:17-25

No comments: